About Me

I am a college student at American University

Monday, March 3, 2008


LinkedIn is in my opinion is a very useful social networking tool. It is very professional and easy to use. When I first became a member last year, it was mainly used for employers and employees to connect and now, students at college also have the option to join. I personally hope however that they do not expand the network anymore than that.

One thing I really like about LinkedIn is that it is very professional. On Facebook, anyone can join and be members of numerous networks (a school, or a hometown to name a few) or there is always the option of “no network”. Hopefully, to become a member of LinkedIn you will have to join one of their networks (a school or a university/college), because I don’t think giving the option for anyone to join would be helpful, and I am worried that the value if LinkedIn will decrease.

When anyone has the option to join these networks, advertising seems to kick in more. I hope that the next time I log into LinkedIn I don’t have a poke or a party invitation waiting for me.


*Here is a picture of a search on LinkedIn where you can see users and some limited information about them. This information was taken from the website www.askdavetaylor.com in an article teaching the basics of LinkedIn called "How do I use LinkedIn to find a job?"

3 comments:

Jackie said...

I agree that it would be a good idea for members of linkedin to be required to join a college/university network but what about the people who are out of college, or people who would not be truthful with the school they attended, wouldnt that make it less credible? I do also hope that it does not turn into another facebook or myspace with all of the different requests for "what freinds character are you, or a new bumpersticker to post on your page.

Stephen said...

While I love Facebook, I have stopped using it as often as I have in the past. When I log back into the site, clearing away the cobwebs can be very frustrating- clearing the invitations, friend requests, parties, events, etc. While I still value Facebook as an important social tool, I agree with Adam that I hope some other social networking sites remain exceptionally private to eliminate the "fluff."

A|B said...

I believe that it should not be requiered to join a college or university because in many cases there are people who their college is in the past an all thats important to them right now is there job. Also I believe this might bias some views that people might have of the member, judging him by the school instead of his job experience.