About Me

I am a college student at American University

Monday, March 24, 2008

Your Crew


(http://ozguru.mu.nu/Photos/teamwork.gif)
I loved the idea from "How to pick your million dollar crew" of the 4/5 person team. The descriptions were great. Leader, Brain, Anchor, Soldier, and the Freelancers. It was a very good blog, but I would argue that there are other ways to get a mission done than compare it to robbing a bank and hiring freelancers. Not everything is like "The Bank Job" or "The Italian Job" although those are some of my favorite movies.

Sometimes you will have one person with an idea who just tackles it in his head and executes it and is successful. Other times you will have someone who steals an idea, like the Brain and will just get it done. Sometimes there are numerous teams who have to coordinate and sometimes there are none. I know when we did the puzzle project in class the other day I was not in the mood to do puzzles, and some people on my team picked up the extra slack. I think there are a lot of variables in teams which need to be accounted for... Motivation, or areas of expertise to name some.
I love comparing things to sports so I do it a lot, but you can't compare all teams to sports either.

I can't help but mention Pinky and the Brain, a show I use to watch on Cartoon Network. The Brain always has the ideas and Pinky who I guess is the Soldier is a really horrible Soldier and always screws things up... pretty funny...

2 comments:

Katie said...

I agree, teams are often composed of many different kinds of people, and different dynamics can work. Every team doesn't have to have the same make-up but most teams have to have a leader of some sort. If there is not a leader then many ideas can be on the table but it will be difficult to decide on just one. Some teams can have people who are all thinking on the same page and some can have multiple opposing views on how to do the project.

However, a team will not work if every person decides to be the leader. There always has to be a balance in the group. In my opinion, the best kind of team is made up of all different people with different ideas because it facilitates more discussion and thought about the topic. If a team is too narrow minded, then the outcome might not be successful in appealing to a particular group of people.

Anonymous said...

Hi Adam,

I appreciate you coming by to check out "The Mind of a Hustler".

I wanted to clear up a misunderstanding. Not every team needs all four or five players. I suggested this type of crew to increase your chances of success.

Yes, one person can successfully executer a plan and be successful. I prefer to call this the "Stupid but Lucky" individual.

Saying that astarting any business is like robbing a bank was intended to illustrate how a plan and a team come together to acheive a common goal.

Having started and run many businesses and having known and spoken with bank robbers, I can assure you that there are many similarities in pulling off a successful robbery and starting a successful business.

Thanks for the nod and keep hustling.

The Hustler